Domino’s Celebrates International Women’s Day
International Women's Day (IWD) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. Recognized annually on March 8, the day marks a call to action for accelerating gender equity. People worldwide come together to celebrate women’s achievements and rally for women’s equality.
A core IWD mission is empowerment, which is described as shining a spotlight on activity that uplifts and inspires women to pursue goals without bias or barrier. To honor IWD and this mission, Domino’s team members across the country visited the following women’s shelters in their communities to recognize the work the organizations do every day:
- Maggie’s Place (Phoenix, Arizona): committed to serving mothers – upholding dignity, providing support for those experiencing barriers to thriving, and building an inclusive, trauma-informed community
- Marian House (Baltimore, Maryland): provides a safe, sober, and loving environment that challenges women to respect and love themselves, confront emotional and socioeconomic barriers, and transition to stable and independent lives
- Safe Harbor (Richmond, Virginia): provides the support that survivors of sexual and domestic violence and human trafficking need to overcome their crisis and to transform their lives
- House Center (Ann Arbor, Michigan): dedicated to providing safety, advocacy, and resources to survivors of relationship violence, and to work relentlessly for systemic change
- Tubman Center (Minneapolis, Minnesota): works to advance opportunities for change so that every person can experience safety, hope and healing
Team members representing a variety of teams from Domino’s – graphic design, supply chain, corporate operations and more – learned about their local organization’s missions and brought respite through pizza lunches and dinners for clients and staff. They brought donations of gift cards and other much-needed items like phone chargers, planners, toiletries, safety equipment, bedding, food pantry items and more.
“At Maggie's Place, so much happens around food! Each support group begins with a meal for our moms and kiddos, and the community conversations, love and support that happens during meal time is invaluable,” said Whitney Thistle, Maggie’s Place vice president of philanthropy. “With four maternity homes and a busy Family Success Center, receiving the delicious meals from Domino's made our moms and staff feel so loved.”
Domino’s began humbly and our history of starting small and dreaming big remains at the core of our brand. It’s a purpose-inspired company with exceptional people dedicated to feeding the power of possible, one pizza at a time. We believe in delivering a difference to our communities and helping people – like the women served by these amazing organizations – to reach their full potential.
To learn more about International Women’s Day, visit internationalwomensday.com.